Monday, January 24, 2011

Dinner Tonight

Something new was on the menu tonight.  Lentils.  That may stir up visions of nothingness in your head.  It was certainly what I thought of when I looked at the package.  Which is why the package sat in my pantry for over a month. 

But I've heard that lentils are packed full of nutrients, so tonight we took the plunge.  Lentil soup. 

1 pkg. lentils, sorted, bring to a boil, simmer for 2 hrs. 
5-6 medium tomatoes
3-5 stalks celery, sliced thin
3-5 large carrots, sliced thin
handful of cilantro
5-6 green onions, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic (hey--it's good for you!)
1/2 Tbsp. black pepper

If you are so inclined, spice it up with red pepper or possibly curry.  We ate it straight with fresh green beans, steamed with garlic and a little sea salt.  It was surprisingly filling, and we enjoyed it!  I guess you really do learn something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment